FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Barney Colored Elementary School Recognized with Historical Marker
Savannah, Ga., December 5, 2013- The Georgia Historical Society in partnership with the Brooks County Board of Commissioners and the Morven Rosenwald Alumni Association will recognize the Barney Colored Elementary School with the dedication of a historical marker this Saturday.
“This marker illustrates for the community the importance of the Barney School in the history of African-American education in Brooks County and shows the significance of Barney and other Rosenwald Schools in the larger story of education in Georgia,” said Dr. Gerald Golden, of the Morven Rosenwald Alumni Association. “We hope that it will show future generations the value of education and, in particular, how vital schools like this were to the rural communities of our state.”
The Barney Colored Elementary School was just one of nearly five thousand schools established by the Chicago-based Julius Rosenwald Fund between 1913 and 1932. Six of those schools were in Brooks County.
“The Barney Colored Elementary School is an excellent example of the impact of the Rosenwald initiative on rural education in Georgia,” added Golden. “We are pleased that this new historical marker can help tell this story.”
The marker dedication will take place Saturday, December 7 at 1:00 p.m. at 426 First Avenue in Barney, Georgia. For additional information please contact Patricia Meagher, Director of Communications for the Georgia Historical Society.
SAVANNAH: 501 Whitaker St., Savannah, GA 31401
ATLANTA: 260 14th St., NW, Ste. A-148, Atlanta, GA 30318
Georgia Historical Society (GHS) is the premier independent statewide institution responsible for collecting, examining and teaching Georgia history. GHS houses the oldest and most distinguished collection of materials related exclusively to Georgia history in the nation.