Georgia Historical Society to dedicate historical Marker to Calvary Episcopal Church

Georgia Historical Society to dedicate historical Marker to

Calvary Episcopal Church

 

Savannah, Ga., September 18, 2014 – The Georgia Historical Society will dedicate a new historical marker commemorating Calvary Episcopal Church, one of the oldest Episcopal congregations in Southwest Georgia.  The church building reflects the design of noted architect Ralph Adams Cram.  Cram, the foremost gothic church architect of the early 20th century, worked with long-time Calvary minister, James Bolan Lawrence to complete the project.  Some of Cram’s best known works include the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York, Nave extension and Lady Chapel of Trinity Church, Princeton, NJ and All Saints’ Chapel at The University of the South, Sewanee, TN.  Calvary Episcopal Church was designed in Cram’s signature gothic style and completed in 1921.  It replaced the previous church established on that location in 1869.

The marker dedication will take place on Friday, September 19, 2014 at 11 a.m. at the church, 408 South Lee Street in Americus.  The public is invited to attend.

The historical marker reads:

Calvary Episcopal Church
A Ralph Adams Cram Church

Calvary Episcopal Church was organized in 1864 as a second effort to found an Episcopal parish in Americus.  The cornerstone for the original wood-framed church was laid here in 1869.  The current building was completed in 1921 under the leadership of Rev. James Bolan Lawrence and renowned architect Ralph Adams Cram.  Cram is primarily known for his Gothic designs in college campuses and churches nationwide, including the Princeton University Chapel and New York’s Cathedral of St. John the Divine.  Rev. Lawrence founded churches in Pennington, Vienna, Cordele, and Blakely, and also established congregations in Cuthbert, Dawson, and Benevolence.  Rev. Lawrence served the Calvary parish from 1905-1947.  Because of his dedication to evangelism and church planting in Southwest Georgia, Rev. Lawrence was recognized as a saint in Georgia by the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia in 1999.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and Calvary Episcopal Church

 

 

 

 

###


SAVANNAH: 501 Whitaker St., Savannah, GA 31401
ATLANTA: 260 14th St., NW, Ste. A-148, Atlanta, GA 30318

Comments are closed.