Marker Text: Thirteen Atlanta physicians organized the Brotherhood of Physicians in 1854. After many location and name changes, the Brotherhood evolved in to the Fulton County Medical Society, which dedicated the Academy of Medicine as its headquarters here on December 15, 1941. Medical Society members played a major role in health care for all Georgians, including advances in the treatment of pellagra, hookworm, tuberculosis, and venereal disease. Designed by Philip T. Shutze and R. Kennon Perry, the Academy of Medicine is an outstanding example of Neoclassical architecture. The Medical Association of Atlanta directed restoration in 1983 and deeded the Academy to the Atlanta Medical Heritage to preserve it as an historic building.
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, the Medical Association of Atlanta, and Atlanta Medical Heritage, Inc.