Marker Text: One of the earliest hospitals in southwest Georgia devoted to the care of African Americans, the Americus Colored Hospital opened in 1923. The majority of the funds needed to build the hospital were provided by Dr. W.S. Prather. Practice in the hospital was open to doctors of all races and so provided opportunities for black doctors, nurses, and pharmacists who were unable to practice in many hospitals throughout the South. The hospital suffered difficulties throughout its history, but it remained in use by the African-American community until Sumter Regional Hospital was constructed under the Hill-Burton Act in 1953.
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the City Federation of Colored Women Club.