Marker Text: Cuthbert is the site of Andrew College, founded here January 1854, named in honor of Bishop James O. Andrew whose refusal to free his Wife’s slaves separated the Northern and Southern Methodist Episcopal Churches (1844). First President – Augustus Alden, of Yale, a pioneer in Georgia for higher education.
The second college chartered to confer graduate degrees upon women. Served as a Confederate Hospital 1863-65.
The first women’s college in the South to include Physical Education in its curriculum (1867).
Today, a fully accredited Junior College, it has upheld throughout a century the highest principles of educated, Christian womanhood.