Atkinson Courthouse

Atkinson Courthouse

Atkinson Court House

Year Erected: 1954

Marker Text: Atkinson County was created by an act of the Georgia legislature in 1917, out of lands previously in Clinch and Coffee Counties.

The county was organized Jan. 1, 1918. The first officers were J.W. Roberts, Ordinary; Wiley M. Sumner, Clerk Superior Court; E.D. Leggett, Sheriff and Charles E. Stewart, Representative in legislature.

Members of the first Board of Commissioners, created in 1919, were Jeff Kirkland, David Weathers and J.M. Roberts Sr. The first Clerk to the Commissioners and County Attorney was L.A. Hargreaves.

Tips for Finding This Marker: At the county courthouse in Pearson.