Marker Text: Built by Federal troops during the Civil War, in February 1862, Battery Hamilton prevented Confederate gunboats and reinforcements from moving down the Savannah River to aid the besieged Fort Pulaski. Its presence also allowed the Federals to construct the eleven artillery batteries that pounded Fort Pulaski into surrender in April 1862. Battery Hamilton was constructed and occupied by Company E and a detachment from Company A of the Third Rhode Island Heavy Artillery. The armament consisted of six heavy, rifled cannons. Battery Hamilton was abandoned after Fort Pulaski fell to Federal troops.
Tips for Finding This Marker: On McQueen’s Island Historic Trail in Savannah.