Marker Text: Dec. 1864. Beginning near this point and extending about 500 yards north along the left bank of Salt Creek, astride the old Savannah and Darien (Ogeechee) road, strong earthworks were constructed by Confederate engineers to prevent enemy forces from crossing Salt Creek at Owens’ Bridge (on the old road), the only feasible crossing in this area. Designated as “Battery Jones,” they were manned by the Terrell (Ga.) Artillery, Capt. John W. Brooks, and mounted 3 32-pdr., 1 20-pdr., and 4 12-pdr., guns.
Its front protected by the marshes and its flanks supported by batteries on its right and left, Battery Jones held Owens’ Bridge and the road to Savannah securely against all assaults until the night of Dec. 20th. That night, Savannah was evacuated by the Confederate forces to spare it from a destructive bombardment by heavy siege guns which had been landed at Gen. Sherman’s new base at King’s Bridge, seven miles south on the Great Ogeechee River, and to prevent the defenders from being trapped in Savannah by the vastly superior Union forces which were closing in on the city. At 8 o’clock, the guns of Battery Jones were rendered useless and its garrison was withdrawn to Savannah and thence across the river into South Carolina.