Year Erected: 1988
Marker Text: 2.8 miles E. of here, on May 13, 1864, a delaying action was fought as Confederates moved south toward Resaca. On Oct. 13, 1864, part of French’s Division of Stewart’s Corps, Confederate Army of Tennessee, attacked this place, then garrisoned by 300 men of the 17th Iowa Veteran Volunteer Infantry, under the command of Lt. Col. S.M. Archer, U.S. Army. Many of the garrison took refuge in the blockhouse just north of the town. Selden’s Battery, brought into action, battered the blockhouse and, after a battle that lasted several hours, the garrison surrendered.