Marker Text: This church near Buckhead Creek, from which it derives its name, was probably organized before the Revolution by Matthew Moore, a Baptist minister whose loyalist sympathies led him to leave with the British. Buckhead Church was reconstituted Sept. 11, 1787 with James Matthews, pastor, and Sanders Walker and Josiah Taylor acting with him as presbytery. Four church buildings have stood on or near this site. The first was log, followed in 1807 by a white frame one. A brick church was built in 1830. It was condemned and the present one was erected. Here the Hephzibah Assn. was organized and plans to create Mercer Univ. proposed.
Tips for Finding This Marker: On Porter Road in Millen