Blountsville

Blountsville

Year Erected: 1955
BlountsvilleMarker Text: Near here was Blountsville, an early stage-coach station and post office until after the War Between the States. It suffered severely during the War and the town disappeared. The home of many prominent families, Blountsville was the site of Blountsville Academy, chartered in 1834 with Allen Drury, William E. Ethridge, John W. Stokes, Francis Tufts and John W. Gordon serving as trustees. Blountsville was named for the Blount family, pioneer Georgians. A strong Baptist Church was here, first led by Rev. Benjamin Milner. The Tift, Dumas, Miller, Williams, McCullough and Hurt families were other pioneers.

Tips for Finding This Marker: At the intersection of US 129 and Damascas Church Road in Haddock