Marker Text: A notable eminence between Peachtree & Proctor’s creeks near the Chattahoochee River & named for John A. Casey (1820 – 1907), who lived on this hill near the old Montgomery Church.
Prior to & during the 1860s, the road from Atlanta crossed this hill & via Montgomery’s Ferry, ran to Marietta in Cobb County.
Confederate forces crossed the river near the R.R. bridge, July 9-10, 1864, & camped on the left bank until the 18th when most of them shifted toward Atlanta on the old Marietta Rd. Enroute, they learned that Gen. Johnston [CS] had been relieved of the command & Gen. Hood had been appointed his successor.