Confederate Gun Shop (Terrell County)

Confederate Gun Shop (Terrell County)

Confederate Gun Shop (Terrell County)Year Erected: 1958

Marker Text: When the states of Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee grew short of arms in 1863, Governor Shorter of Alabama and President Jefferson Davis persuaded Major O. O. Nelson of Tuscumbia, Alabama, to organize a company to erect a Gun Shop. Originally erected in Dickson Station, Alabama, the shop was soon moved to Rome, Georgia, where it remained for several months. When the advance of Federal troops made that location untenable, the Gun Shop was moved to this site, where it was operating at full capacity at the close of the war in 1865.

Tips for Finding This Marker: At the intersection of North Orange and 12th Streets in Dawson.