ForsythMarker Time Period: 19th Century
Marker Program: Georgia Historical Commission/Department of Natural Resources
Marker Subject: Politics and Government
Year Erected: 1956
Marker Text: Forsyth, County Seat of Monroe County, was incorporated by Act of Legislature in 1823. It is in almost the exact geographical center of the State. First commissioners were James S. Phillips, Henry H. Lumpkin, John E. Bailey, Anderson Baldwin and Samuel Drewry. Forsyth was named for John Forsyth who, as U.S. Minister to Spain, negotiated the final treaty by which Florida and other lands held by Spain were ceded to the U.S. He served as Governor, Senator and U.S. Secretary of State under Presidents Jackson and Van Buren.