Year Erected: 1952
Marker Text: The site of fort King George, the first fort on Georgia soil built by the English. Erected by the Colony of south Carolina in 1721, 12 years before the Georgia Colony was founded.
This fort served as a barrier against the Spanish in Florida, French in the interior, and their Indian allies for about a decade.
Soldiers who died in service are buried nearby in a graveyard lost for 200 years. Some of the graves are marked now. Others are on the site of a 16th century Spanish Mission.