Marker Text: Georgia Southwestern State University was founded in 1906 as the Third Agricultural and Mechanical School. In 1926, the Legislature authorized the school to offer two years of college work and change the name to Third District Agricultural and Normal College. The Institution became a unit of the University System of Georgia in 1932 and changed the name to Georgia Southwestern College. In 1964, the Board of Regents authorized transition to a four-year degree granting institution. The first Bachelors’ Degrees were conferred in 1968. Among distinguished alumni are former President of the United States and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Jimmy Carter, former First Lady Rosalynn Carter, and former U.S. Attorney General Griffin Bell.
Re-erected in 2017 by the Georgia Historical Society and Georgia Southwestern State University