Year Erected: 1981
Marker Text: The property on which the Widows Home is located was the site of Augusta’s first City Hospital. Constructed in 1818, the hospital provided for the “sick poor” of Augusta and later evolved into the present University Hospital. At City Hospital, Georgia’s first school of medicine opened its doors as the Medical Academy of Georgia on October 1, 1829. This location served as an academic facility until 1835, when the school, then renamed the Medical College of Georgia, was moved to the building standing at the corner of 6th and Telfair Streets.