Year Erected: 2004
Marker Text: Augusta served as the capital of Georgia from 1785 until 1795 when the seat of government was moved to the new capital, Louisville. The Georgia General Assembly met at this site in a two-story building on the corner of Elbert (Fourth) and Bay Streets. The building was known as both the State House and Government House and was adjacent to the Academy of Richmond County. In Augusta on January 2, 1788, Georgia became the fourth state to ratify the United States Constitution. In 1789 the General Assembly, meeting here, adopted a new state constitution creating today’s bicameral (two-house) state legislature consisting of the Senate and House of Representatives.
Erected by Georgia Historical Society and Office of the Secretary of State.