Marker Text: In 1800 James Hamilton, with his partner John Couper, purchased land at Gascoigne Bluff. Under Hamilton´s stewardship, Hamilton Plantation became one of the major St. Simons producers of long-staple cotton. After Hamilton moved to Philadelphia, management oversight was carried out by his namesake, James Hamilton Couper, who eventually owned Hamilton. From colonial days, Gascoigne Bluff had served as a deep-water landing. In the plantation era, imported goods and cotton exports for the entire island were transported through Hamilton Plantation´s wharf. Two tabby cabins that housed some of the plantation´s slaves have been preserved at the Bluff.
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Coastal Georgia Historical Society, Friends of Coastal Georgia History, and Sea Island Company