Year Erected: 1953
Marker Text: During the fighting at Dallas, New Hope Church, Pickett’s Mill & elsewhere along the opposing Confederate & Federal lines, General J. E. Johnston [CSA] had h’dq’rs at the Wm. Wigley house (which stood near here) May 25 – June 1, 1864.
Posey Wigley (10 yr. old son of Wm. & Fanny), later recalled seeing Gen. Johnston at his widowed mother’s house and removal of family and household goods to a place of safety – hence, Lt. T. B. Mackall’s reference to “Widow Wigley’s deserted house” as Johnston’s headquarters (O.R. 38. III, 987).