Year Erected: 1952
Marker Text: The covered structure over the Etowah here, was burned by Jackson’s [CSA] Cav. May 21, 1864, the day after Johnston’s [CSA] passage of the river at State R.R. Bridge.
May 23rd, the 2 pontoon bridges intended for the passage of Schofield’s 23d A.C. [USA] were usurped by the 20th A.C.[USA] (mistakenly diverted from Gillem’s bridge) and the 23d A.C. did not cross until the 24th.
This and crossings lower down were on Federal routes from Kingston & Cassville toward Dallas, Paulding Co. Sherman [USA] called the Etowah “The Rubicon of Georgia.”