Nickajack Gap

Nickajack Gap

Year Erected: 1953

Marker Text: The road E. ascends Taylor’s Ridge & via Nickajack Gap, crosses E. Chickamauga Cr. Valley.

May 7, 1864. Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick’s (3d) Div., Elliott’s Cav. Corps (Army of the Cumberland) [US], moving from Ringgold, crossed Taylor’s ridge at Nickajack Gap, followed by Williams’ (1st) Div., 20th Corps.

The 2d & 3d Divs. crossed the ridge 4.5 mi. S. at Gordon Springs Gap, the same day. Kilpatrick’s Cav. masked the advance of the 20th A.C. into E. Chickamauga Valley, enroute to Mill Cr. Gap & Dug Gap, in Rocky Face Ridge — outposts of the Confederate forces at Dalton commanded by Gen. Joseph E. Johnston.

Tips for Finding This Site: At the intersection of Ga. 151 and East Nickajack Road in Ringgold.