Year Erected: 2003
Marker Text: Situated ten miles from the Atlantic near the mouth of the Altamaha River, Darien attained prominence as a seaport in the 1820s. Rice and upland cotton from Georgia ‘s interior were shipped from this waterfront. From 1870 to 1900, Darien served as the leading international timber center on the east coast through the milling and shipment of yellow pine and cypress rafted down the Altamaha River. With the decline of the timber trade, Darien turned to the commercial harvest of seafood and was homeport to a large shrimp fleet by the 1940s.
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the Lower Altamaha Historical Society