Marker Text*: This is one of the older settlements in this part of Georgia having been established sometime prior to 1840 and receiving its name from Enoch or Hardy Scarborough of Screven County. In 1839 it became Station No. 7 on the Central Rail Road and served this one of the very oldest rail roads in the United States as a refueling station for over 30 years.
During the War Between the States, Gen. Sherman’s army [USA] camped alongside the railroad here on the night of Dec. 3, 1864. The Scarboro Baptist Church was organized in 1854.
About 1/2 mile east of here stands the old Woods’ house constructed in part about ten years before the War Between the States.
*This marker is missing.