Year Erected: 1986
Marker Text: Ante-bellum plantation and residence of the Rev. Charles Wallace Howard, where he established a private school.
May 18, 1864. Hardee’s A.C. [CSA] moved from Adairsville to Kingston on this road enroute to Cass Station. May 19, the 4th and 14th A.C. [USA] followed, occupying Kingston, to which point all the rest of the army had been directed by Sherman under the false impression that Johnston’s forces had retreated there.
The stirring events of locality are ably set forth by Frances Thomas Howard in her book “In and Out of the Lines.”