Marker Text: July 20, 1864. Posted on this ridge, astride the Georgia R.R. was the right flank of Hood’s old corps, [CSA] Gen. B.F. Cheatham commanding.
July 22. These troops were withdrawn, before daylight, to the city fortifications. The vacated line was occupied by Logan’s corps, [USA] which was reversed to face westward.
Gen. Morgan L. Smith’s div. centered at the R.R., Lightburn’s brigade posted (between DeGress Ave. & Battery Place) west of the Hurt house; Martin’s, S. of it — The R.R. cut separating them. The Confederate assault, afternoon July 22d, broke the lines of Lightburn & Martin’s brigades at the Decatur Rd. & the railroad cut.