The March of Hardee’s Corps, May 23-25, 1864

The March of Hardee’s Corps, May 23-25, 1864

Year Erected: 1953

The March of Hardee's Corps, May 23-25, 1864

Marker Text: Lt. Gen. Hardee’s A.C., having marched from Stegall’s Station (Emerson) near the Etowah River & camped at the Dr. Smith house, May 23d, passed New Hope Church on the 24th, enroute to the Dallas front.

This moving left flank of Gen. J. E. Johnston’s army sought to checkmate the right of Sherman’s army marching from Kingston in a wide circuit via Van Wert to Dallas.

Hood’s corps, following Hardee’s from the Etowah, reached New Hope Church, May 25, in time to intercept Hooker’s troops in their move toward this position.

Tips for Finding This Marker: At the intersection of GA 381 and Bobo Road in Dallas