Tomlinson Fort House

Tomlinson Fort House

Tomlinson Fort House

Year Erected: 1961

Marker Text: At this site lived Tomlinson Fort (1787-1859). A leader of the Union Party, he studied medicine and wrote a widely used book on medical practice. A captain in the War of 1812, he served in the Georgia legislature and the U.S. Congress, and on the board of governors of the University of Georgia. He founded the Federal Union in 1830 and was president of the Central Bank of Georgia. As early as 1822 he advocated replacing the Poor School Fund with a public school system. He was instrumental in establishing at Milledgeville in 1837 the Georgia Lunatic Asylum, now the largest state institution in Georgia.

Tips for Finding This Marker: At the intersection of South Liberty and West Greene Streets in Milledgeville.