Year Erected: 1999
Marker Text: During his Southern tour of 1791, President George Washington attended services at the original Christ Church on Sunday, May 15. While in Savannah from May 12-15, Washington lodged at a house on the corner of Barnard and State streets on St. James(now Telfair) Square, dined at Brown’s Coffeehouse with the Society of the Cincinnati, toured the ruins of the Revolutionary earthworks with General Lachlan McIntosh, was entertained at the Silk Filature on Reynolds Square and attended a large public dinner. After Sunday services, Washington dined with Catherine Greene(widow of Nathanael Greene)at Mulberry Grove plantation north of the city before departing for Augusta.
Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, The Society of the Cincinnati in the State of Georgia, and The Sons of the Revolution in the State of Georgia