Year Erected: 1955
Marker Text: July 20, 1864. Williams’ div., 20th A.C., [USA] having crossed Peachtree Cr. 750 yds. N., deployed his 3 brigades – Robinson’s, Knipe’s & Ruger’s in the order named, on this ridge from this point W. This was part of a general move on Atlanta by Fed. forces – no precautions taken against attack for none was anticipated.
Geary’s div. was posted on ridge .5 mi. S.E. at Collier Rd. A deep ravine separated the two; no road where N. Side Dr. is located. When the attack by Stewart’s A.C. [CSA] struck both Williams & Geary, the latter was forced to refuse his right wing down the slope to connect with Robinson’s brigade at this point.