Savannah, Ga., November 17, 2014 – The Georgia Historical Society will host a historical marker dedication and private reception to open the Jepson House Education Center, the first building expansion by GHS in over 40 years, Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at 2:30 p.m.
There will be a short program to unveil the historical marker outlining the history of the building and remarks will be made by Dr. W. Todd Groce, President and CEO of the Georgia Historical Society and Robert S. Jepson, Jr., Chairman of the GHS Board of Curators who along with his wife Alice Andrews Jepson are the principle benefactors of the Jepson House Education Center. The marker will be unveiled by Mr. and Mrs. Jepson, Dr. W. Todd Groce and Don Kole, GHS Chairman Emeriti. The Marker text will be read by GHS board member Phil Jacobs. A private reception and tours of the Jepson House Education Center will follow.
The property, purchased in 2011 and named in honor of Savannah philanthropists Robert S. and Alice Jepson will be the place from which all GHS statewide educational programming and services will be planned and disseminated around the state. More information about the Jepson House Education Center can be found here http://georgiahistory.com/about-ghs/jepson-house-education-center/.
Members of the media are invited to attend the program and photograph the house during the reception and tours following. Interviews with Mr. Jepson and Dr. Groce will be possible following the marker dedication. Please contact Patricia Meagher, Director of Communications at 912.651.2125, ext. 153 or email@example.com.
The marker reads:
Jepson House Education Center
This Italianate mansion was built in 1856 for Savannah grocer and Civil War mayor Thomas Holcombe and later owned by former Confederate officer and Superior Court Judge Robert Falligant and his descendants. The Oglethorpe Light Infantry, commanded by Francis Bartow, received its colors and departed from here for the First Battle of Manassas in 1861. During his last visit to Savannah in 1870, Robert E. Lee was hosted here. In 2011 the building was acquired by the Georgia Historical Society. It is named in honor of local philanthropist and businessman Robert S. Jepson, Jr., and his wife Alice, principal benefactors and leaders of the effort to obtain the building. Jepson House serves as the Georgia Historical Society’s educational center, housing the office of the president and the program and administrative staff.
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society