The Georgia Historical Marker Program consists of over 2,100 historical markers across the state. You can explore all markers in the Georgia Historical Marker Program through GHS’s online marker database. By following this link, you can search by marker program, subject, location, time period, and more! You can even create a driving trail based upon your interests.
Did you know that you can learn more from a historical marker than what the text tells you? For example, the slideshow below shows how you can determine what year the marker was erected, who erected the historical marker, and what number the marker is in its county.
Now it’s your turn! Whether exploring the markers in your neighborhood or taking a virtual tour from your computer, historical markers are a great way to delve into your community’s history! Take a look and see if you can answer the following questions:
- What is the title of the historical marker?
- Who erected the historical marker?
- What year was the marker erected?
- The county code is given based upon how the county falls alphabetically in Georgia’s list of counties. What is the county code? Do you know which county this is?
- What number marker is this in the county?
To further explore the Georgia Historical Marker Program, check out the following resources:
- Hidden Histories Online Exhibits
- Georgia Business History Initiative
- Georgia Civil Rights Trail
- Civil War Historical Marker Initiative