Affiliate Chapter Awards
Roger K. Warlick Local History Achievement Awards
Submission Deadline: April 1
Click here to access our online application.
The Georgia Historical Society recognizes achievement in the field of public history by Affiliate Chapter members of the Georgia Historical Society with the Roger K. Warlick Local History Achievement Awards. Named after former GHS president Roger K. Warlick, the award honors the efforts of Affiliate Chapters that go above and beyond in the field of public history. Submissions are accepted beginning January 1 and are accepted through April 1. Recipients of the Roger K. Warlick Local History Achievement Awards will be notified in April.
The Georgia Historical Society accepts nominations from its Affiliate Chapters in the following areas:
- Programs: This category includes any public educational program or programming for specific audiences. Submissions may include one-time or recurring programs. Acceptable formats include, but are not limited to, lectures, in-school presentations, living history performances, and media projects (videos, audio programs, and television programs).
- Exhibits: This category includes temporary, permanent, or traveling exhibits. Nominations should include information regarding any supporting programming and/or media projects related to the exhibition.
- Special Projects: This category includes projects that do not fall under the programming or exhibits categories. Acceptable nominations include, but are not limited to, submissions for archival excellence (records, artifacts, facilities, development, etc.), media projects that do not fit under the programming or exhibits categories, and publications that do not fit the breadth and scope of the requirements for the Georgia Historical Society publication awards.
- Affiliate Chapters may only submit one application per category.
- All nominating parties must be active members of the Georgia Historical Society’s Affiliate Chapter Program. To join the Affiliate Chapter Program, please click here.
- All nominations must be for a completed project and must not be more than two years old at the date of submission.
- Applications must be submitted using the online application form. The application may be accessed by following this link.
- A complete application consists of the following elements:
- Statement of nomination (no more than one page)
- Please include information as to the overall scope and significance of the project
- Supporting materials (press releases, press clippings, videos, photographs, etc.)
- The Georgia Historical Society has the right to forgo giving an award in any category.
- The Georgia Historical Society reserves the right to move applications into a different category if the Society sees that the nomination is a better fit elsewhere.
See below for a list of past Roger K. Warlick Local History Achievement Award recipients.
Contact the GHS Membership and Outreach Coordinator for more information.
Tattnall County Archives – 2018 – Special Projects
Sumter Historic Trust – 2017 – Programs
Historic Rural Churches of Georgia – 2017 – Special Projects
Woodward Academy/GMA Archives – 2017 – Exhibits
Historic Oakland Foundation, Inc. – 2016 – Programs
The Columbus Museum – 2016 – Exhibits
Massie Heritage Center – 2016 – Media
Thronateeska Heritage Foundation, Inc. – 2015 – Archival Excellence
Bulloch County Historical Society – 2015 – Exhibits
Augusta Canal National Heritage Area, Augusta Civil War Roundtable, Augusta Museum of History, Augusta-Richmond County Historical Society, Center for the Study of Georgia History at Regents University, Historic Augusta, Inc. & Boyhood Home of President Woodrow Wilson, Lucy Craft Laney Museum of Black History, and Morris Museum of Art – 2015 – Programs
Bulloch County Historical Society – 2014 – Programs
Georgia College and State University, and Old Governor’s Mansion – 2014 – Preservation Project
Historic Augusta, Inc. – 2013 – Preservation Project
Cherokee County Historical Society – 2013 – Programs
Thomaston/Upson Archives and the Upson County Historical Society – 2013 – Archival Excellence
The Columbus Museum – 2012 – Exhibits
The Columbus Museum – 2011 – Exhibits
Legacy Museum on Main and the Troup County Historical Society – 2010 – Exhibits
Historic Augusta, Inc. – 2009 – Programs
Thomaston/Upson Archives and the Upson County Historical Society – 2009 – Media Project
Historic Augusta, Inc. – 2009 – Preservation Project
Cherokee County Historical Society – 2008 – Archival Excellence
Columbus Museum and the Shaw High School Young Historians Club – 2008 – Exhibit
Georgia Public Broadcasting – 2008 – Media Project
Cook County Historical Society – 2008 – Preservation Project
Historic Columbus Foundation – 2008 – Programs
Fayette County Historical Society – 2007 – Archival Excellence
Friends of Bulloch Hall – 2007 – Exhibits
Haralson County Historical Society – 2007 – Media Project
Historic Effingham Society – 2007 – Preservation Project
Upson Historical Society and the Thomaston-Upson Archives – 2007 – Programs
Thomasville Genealogical, History, and Fine Arts Library, Inc. – 2006 – Archival Excellence
Old Governor’s Mansion – 2006 – Exhibits
Lost Worlds, Inc. – 2006 – Media Project
Old Governor’s Mansion – 2006 – Preservation Project
DeKalb History Center – 2006 – Programs
Georgia Women of Achievement – 2005 – Media Project
Historic Augusta’s – 2005 – Preservation Project
Carroll County Historical Society – 2005 – Programs
Tybee Island Historical Society – 2004 – Preservation Project
Historic Oakland Foundation – 2004 – Preservation Project
Augusta Canal Authority – 2004 – Programs
Affiliate Chapter of the Year
Each year GHS recognizes a member-institution within the Affiliate Chapter Program for exemplary leadership in the field of Georgia state and local history.
2018: Thronateeska Heritage Center
2017: The Columbus Museum
2016: The Lucy Craft Laney Museum of Black History
2015: Historic Oakland Foundation, Inc.
2014: Flannery O’Connor Childhood Home Foundation
2013: Georgia Battlefields Association
2012: Dalton Civil War 150th Commission
2011: Old Capital Museum
2010: Historic Augusta
2009: Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute
2008: Stephens County Historical Society
2007: Thomas County Historical Society
2006: Augusta Canal Authority
2005: Georgia Public Broadcasting
2004: Cherokee County Historical Society