Georgia Ports Authority

GHS is pleased to include Georgia Ports Authority as a Business History Initiative honoree. A Georgia historical marker for Georgia Ports Authority was dedicated on January 28, 2020.

Read the Business History Initiative profile and case study on Georgia Ports Authority.


The marker reads:

Georgia Ports Authority

The Georgia Ports Authority (GPA) was created in 1945 by the state during the economic boom of World War II. Savannah and Brunswick, Georgia’s deepwater ports, had a long history of global trade. The GPA owns two Savannah terminals: its headquarters here in Garden City (1948), acquired through the purchase of the former U.S. Quartermaster Depot, and Ocean Terminal (1958), purchased from the Central of Georgia Railway. GPA’s Brunswick facilities include: Mayor’s Point (1959), Colonel’s Island (1962), and East River (1982). The GPA pioneered the “Savannah Model” (1995) of working directly with major retailers to develop nearby distribution centers. Emulated nationwide, it resulted in additional shipping services and cargo, benefiting both importers and exporters. Savannah is now the third-busiest container gateway in the U.S., creating nearly half a million jobs and generating billions in revenue each year.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and Georgia Ports Authority


Georgia Ports Authority Historical Marker