Friday, Mar 6, 2020
Please join the Georgia Historical Society and partner organizations on March 6 through March 8 for a series of programs commemorating the Weeping Time, the largest sale of enslaved humans ever recorded in North America.
The 2020 Commemoration
Friday, March 6, 2020
• 10:00 a.m.: The Weeping Time-A Gathering of Children, at Otis J. Brock III Elementary School, 1804 Stratford Street, Savannah, Ga 31401
• 6:00 p.m.: Symposium, Beach Institute African-American Cultural Center, 502 East Harris Street, Savannah, Ga 31401
Saturday, March 7, 2020
• 10:00 a.m.: The Weeping Time Commemoration, Otis J. Brock III Elementary School, Outdoor Field
Please bring an umbrella, rain or shine, as we plan to have participants hold up open umbrellas for a moment of silence, since it rained torrentially in Savannah while families were being separated and sold. This is also for a moment of reconciliation.
• 12:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.: The Weeping Time Community Festival, Otis J. Brock III Elementary School, Savannah
• 3:30 p.m.: The Weeping Time Celebration, Butler Island, 2613 U.S Hwy 17, Darien, Ga, 31305
• 4:30 p.m.: Community Prayer Service, Butler Island, 2613 U.S Hwy 17, Darien, Ga, 31305
• Gullah Stories, St. Cyprain’s Church, 401 Fort King George Drive, Darien, Ga, 31305
Sunday, March 8, 2020
• 11:00 a.m.: Sunday Service, Solomon Temple Church of God In Christ, 2005 Augusta Ave., Savannah, Ga 31415
• 1:00 p.m.: Unity Libation Closing Ceremony, The Weeping Time Historical Marker, Augusta Ave. & Dunn St., West Savannah, Ga