Historical Marker Dedication: Hart County Training School

Saturday, Oct 10, 2020
11:00 am

Please join us for the dedication of a new Georgia historical marker:

Hart County Training School
Saturday, October 10, 2020
11:00 a.m.

500 North Richardson Street
Hartwell, GA 30643

The marker reads:

Hart County Training School

Hart County Training School (HCTS), established in 1924 for the education of African-American children, was partially funded by the Rosenwald School Building Program. This program matched funds from philanthropist Julius Rosenwald with community donations to build schools for African Americans during the era of segregation. HCTS was one of several African-American schools in Hat County at the time and is an early example of the public consolidated school system, which allowed for multiple grades to be housed in one facility. Rebuilt in 1955 as an equalization school, pat of a statewide effort to improve school buildings and preserve segregation, HCTS became the only public school for black students in Hart County. In 1970 the county integrated the school system, and HCTS was renamed Hart County Junior High School.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Hart County Historical Society, Hart County Training School Historical Recognition Sponsor Group, and Hart County Charter System