FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Georgia Historical Society and Athens Historical Society
to Commemorate University of Georgia Botanical Garden
Savannah, Ga., October 28, 2013 – The Georgia Historical Society in conjunction with the Athens Historical Society will dedicate a historical marker on the site that was once the original home of the University of Georgia’s 19th-century Botanical Garden in Athens.
The ceremony will be held in Athens at Reese and Pope Park, 375 Reese Street at the corner of Reese and Pope Streets at 4:00 pm.
Remarks will be given by GHS President and C.E.O. Dr. W. Todd Groce; Dr. Michael Dirr, Coach Vince Dooley, Dr. Hubert McAlexander and Mr. James Reap.
The UGA Botanical Garden was opened in 1833 by Dr. Malthus War, Professor of Natural History. The Garden was intended as a laboratory for learning and experimentation as well as a location of natural beauty. Although it became one of Athens’ greatest attractions, loss of funding forced its closure in 1856. Funds from the sale of the garden property were used to erect the iron fence surrounding the campus and the Arch, a free-standing gate that has become the symbol of the University of Georgia.
For additional information or to schedule an interview with Dr. Groce please contact Patricia Meagher at 912.651.2125, ext. 153 or PMeagher@georgiahistory.com
SAVANNAH: 501 Whitaker St., Savannah, GA 31401
ATLANTA: 260 14th St., NW, Ste. A-148, Atlanta, GA 30318
Georgia Historical Society (GHS) is the premier independent statewide institution responsible for collecting, examining and teaching Georgia history. GHS houses the oldest and most distinguished collection of materials related exclusively to Georgia history in the nation.