Augusta, Ga., November 19, 2018 – On Friday, November 16, 2018, the Georgia Historical Society unveiled a new historical marker highlighting the history and impact of the Shiloh Orphanage. The marker was sponsored by the Georgia Department of Transportation.
Speakers for the event included the Rev. Carlton Howard on behalf of the Honorable Henry “Wayne” Howard, Georgia House of Representatives; Ms. Ruth B. Crawford, Shiloh Comprehensive Community Center; Dr. Lee Ann Caldwell, Director of the Center for the Study of Georgia History and Augusta University Historian-in-Residence; and Elyse Butler, Marker Manager for the Georgia Historical Society.
“It is very appropriate that we are marking this site,” stated Dr. Lee Ann Caldwell, “because it was an integral part of this community and the people who stayed here, and the people who have benefited from Mrs. Crawford’s leadership have gone out to do incredible things themselves in this community.”
For more information about the Shiloh Orphanage Historical Marker or the Georgia Historical Marker program please contact Patricia Meagher, Director of Communications at (912) 651-2125, ext. 153.
The Marker Reads:
In 1896, the Shiloh Baptist Association founded an orphanage for African-American children denied care at the city’s whites-only orphanage. After operating briefly under a different name and director, the home became Shiloh Orphanage under the stewardship of the Reverend Daniel McHorton by 1899. As superintendent, McHorton provided housing and secured food, education, and vocational training for Shiloh’s wards. With assistance from wealthy northern donors and local support from both black and white communities, supporters raised enough money to purchase a permanent property to house the orphanage in 1904. Later that year, Shiloh Orphanage relocated here on 15th Street, adding a classroom in 1910. Dormitories for girls (1927) and boys (1936) followed. Shiloh Orphanage closed in 1970 and reopened as Shiloh Comprehensive Community Center in 1977.
ABOUT THE GEORGIA HISTORICAL MARKER PROGRAM
The Georgia Historical Society (GHS) administers Georgia’s historical marker program. Over the past 20 years, GHS has erected over 250 new historical markers across the state on a wide variety of subjects. GHS also maintains the more than 2,100 markers installed by the State of Georgia prior to 1998. Online mapping tools allow users to design driving routes based on historical markers, and a mobile app helps visitors locate and learn about markers nearby.Visit georgiahistory.com for more ways to use Georgia’s historical markers and experience history where it happened.
ABOUT GEORGIA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Georgia Historical Society (GHS) is the premier independent statewide institution responsible for collecting, examining, and teaching Georgia history. GHS houses the oldest and most distinguished collection of materials related exclusively to Georgia history in the nation.
To learn more visit georgiahistory.com.