Georgia Historical Society to Dedicate Historical Marker at First Bryan Baptist Church
Savannah, Ga., June 25, 2014 – The Georgia Historical Society in conjunction with First Bryan Baptist Church will dedicate a new Historical Marker this Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 12:30 p.m. in front of First Bryan Baptist Church, 575 West Bryan Street Savannah.
The marker reads:
First Bryan Baptist Church
First Bryan dates its founding to the constitution of the Ethiopian Church of Jesus Christ under Rev. Andrew Bryan in January 1788, making it one of the nation’s oldest African-American Baptist churches. Known later as First Colored Church, First African, and Third African, the congregation took the name First Bryan Baptist in 1867. Construction of the first church building began here in 1793 on property purchased by Reverend Bryan. The current building was completed in 1874. First Bryan ministers including Garrison Frazier and Ulysses Houston attended the nearby meeting of local black leaders with Gen. Sherman in January 1865 that resulted in Special Field Orders No. 15, promising confiscated coastal land to freed slaves. In the twentieth century, Civil Rights leader W.W. Law taught Sunday School at First Bryan for many years.
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and First Bryan Baptist Church.
Light refreshments and tours of the church and archives will be available following the ceremony. For more information please contact Patricia Meagher at 912-651-2125, ext. 153
SAVANNAH: 501 Whitaker St., Savannah, GA 31401
ATLANTA: 260 14th St., NW, Ste. A-148, Atlanta, GA 30318