Marker Text: On April 14 – 15, 1914, 135 officials from 19 counties met near this site at the Kimball House Hotel to create the Association County Commissioners of Georgia (ACCG). Inspired by the need for cooperation between counties to address common issues such as growing demands for modern roads, ACCG helped create the first State Highway Department – now the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT). When federal funds became available through the Federal Aid Road Act of 1916 to establish state highway departments, ACCG coordinated Georgia’s counties to secure $16 million dollars in bond funding as the required state match. ACCG continues to provide Georgia’s 159 counties with strategies and programs to address common issues and effective local governance, and to partner with GDOT and cities to build and maintain Georgia’s state and interstate transportation systems.
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Association County Commissioners of Georgia, and the Georgia Department of Transportation