Atlanta Woman’s Club

Atlanta Woman’s Club

Year Erected: 1956

Marker Text: The Atlanta Woman’s Club, organized Nov. 11, 1895, was inspired by a council meeting in Atlanta of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs during the Cotton States and International Exposition. Mrs. Rebecca Douglas Lowe was founder and first president of this Club whose objective is “threefold – social, literary and humanitarian.” On Oct. 27, 1896, the Atlanta Woman’s Club was hostess to organized women’s clubs in Georgia to form the State Federation. Meetings have been held at the home of the founder, the deGive Opera House, the Club’s first home at 17 Baker St. and the present clubhouse, purchased in 1919 and extensively enlarged since then.

Tips for Finding This Marker: At the Wimbash House, 1150 Peachtree St. NE in Atlanta