Year Erected: 1958
Marker Text: Bethel Primitive Baptist Church, the second Baptist Church to be organized in the area of old Lowndes County, was constituted September 2, 1826. The organizing Presbytery were: Elders Benjamin Manning. Matthew Albritton and Henry Melton, with Deacon William A. Knight. Charter members of Bethel Church were: Elder Melus Thigpen and his wife, Sarah; Archibald Strickland and his wife, Luander; Henry C. Tucker and his wife, Sarah. Elder Thigpen served as supply pastor until 1828, when the Rev. Matthew Albritton was called to the charge of Bethel Church.
Tips for Finding This Marker: On Bethel Church Road 1.5 miles south of Georgia Route 122, on the left when traveling south in Pavo.