Year Erected: 1954
Marker Text: This County, created by Act of the Legislature February 9, 1854, is named for Gen. John Coffee who served in the Indian Wars and was a Member of Congress in 1833-36. He built the “Old Coffee road,” which forms part of the border between Berrien and Coffee Counties, over which to transport troops and supplies to Florida. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff B.H. Tanner, Ordinary Thomas Mobley, Clerk of Superior and Inferior Courts Whittington Moore, Tax Receiver John W. Machet, Tax Collector James R. Smith, Coroner Sim Parker and Surveyor Carver.