Year Erected: 1954
Marker Text: This is one of the eight original Counties created by the Georgia Constitution in 1777 and is named for Lord Effingham who was an ardent supporter of Colonial Rights. By Act of Feb. 26, 1784, the first County Site was located at Tuckasee-King near the Screven Co. line. From 1787 to ’96 the Site was at Elberton on the North side of the Ogeechee near Indian Bluff. The Legislature meeting at Louisville Feb. 7, 1799 appointed five Commissioners to lay out a new Site which became the town of Effingham. The Site was later moved to Springfield, incorporated in 1838.