Year Erected: 1958
Marker Text*: After the fall of Atlanta in 1864, when refugees were searching for food and havens far removed from the scenes of war, Governor Joseph E. Brown arranged for the transportation of about 300, mainly women and children, to Dawson. They stayed at “Exile Camp”. During Reconstruction, detachments of 50 Federal soldiers were quartered at “Exile Camp” to preserve order. Socially disposed, they behaved with “such prudence and fairness”, that friendships between citizens and these soldiers are treasured yet. The last detachment, under Sergeant Barker, left here April 30, 1868.
*This marker is missing.