Marker Text: The Flint River Farms Resettlement Project was established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture Resettlement Administration in 1937. The Project was one of many similar community resettlement projects organized throughout the South during the New Deal, allowing African-American farmers to purchase land and learn successful farm practices. A community center opened in 1938 which included school buildings and a vocational agriculture shop. Young people received a first- through eleventh-grade education while adults studied vocational agriculture and home economics. In 2003, sixteen of the original 106 families still owned land purchased through the Flint River Farms Resettlement Project.
Tips for Finding This Marker: At the intersection of GA 26 and Flint River School Road, at the entrance to Flint River Farms School Community in Montezuma