Year Erected: 1956
Marker Text*: July 22, 1864. Gen. John Fuller’s only brigade — Morrill’s, which was in reserve near Leggett’s Hill, was deployed S.E. of here to meet the advance of Walker’s div. [CS] up Sugar Cr. valley. While so engaged, Cleburne’s 2 brigades — Govan’s & Smith’s, [CS] having penetrated the rear of the Federal line on Flat Shoals Rd., assailed the right flank of Morrill’s four regiments, not only forcing repeated changes of front but entire withdrawal to a line extending eastward from Leggett’s Hill.
During this action, the 64th Ill. reg’t. drove back Cleburne’s troops long enough to remove McPherson’s body in the forest where he fell.
*This marker is missing.