Gen. Leonidas Polk’s Headquarters (Bartow County)

Gen. Leonidas Polk’s Headquarters (Bartow County)

Image Credit: Barry Colbaugh

Year Erected: 1954

Marker Text: The William Neal McKelvey residence – 1864. A Council of War held here May 19, discussed the advisability of holding the position E. & S. of Cassville by the Confederate army. Present were: Gen. Joseph E. Johnston; Lt. Gen. Polk; Lt. Gen. John B. Hood; Maj. Gen. S. C. French; & Capt. W.J. Morris, Chief Engineer, Polk’s A.C.

After hearing the statements of the Council, Johnston ordered the withdrawal of the army at midnight. This decision stemmed from a failure to make an opportune attack on the Federals, & alleged inability to hold a defensive line as it was then situated.

Tips for Finding This Marker: On Mac Johnson Road in Cassville.