Gold Diggers’ Road

Gold Diggers’ Road

Year Erected: 1954

Marker Text: This section of highway was once a part of the “Gold Diggers’ Road,” one of the earliest ways used in reaching this area during the Gold Rush days.

Beginning on the Chestatee River to the east, where it connected with a route coming from South Carolina via Toccoa, Clarkesville and Cleveland, the Gold Diggers’ Road led here; thence southward, along U.S. 19 to Dahlonega and from there to Auraria.

Much of its original course is now abandoned.

Tips for Finding This Site: Located at the intersection of Calhoun Road (U.S. 19) and Business U.S. 19 in Dahlonega.