Year Erected: 1996
Marker Text: This County, created by Act of the Legislature Aug. 17, 1905, is named for Henry W. Grady, nationally famous editor and “silver tongued orator” of the New South. Born in Athens, Ga., in 1850 and educated at the Universities of Georgia & Virginia, he died in 1889. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff D.W. Tyus, Ordinary P.H. Herring, Clerk of Superior Court W.T. Crawford, Tax Receiver W.R. Wynn, Tax Collector R.W. Ponder, Treasurer M.G. McManus, Surveyor D.A. Jones, Coroner E.G. Harrell, School Commissioner J.B. Wright and Representative R.R. Terrell.